Monday 30 September 2013

Things I have learnt

This whole process isn't easy, its the uncertainty that is hard. I have made all kinds of mistakes this year regarding this application process, here they go:

  • I should have revised math all year round, I have absolutely no math foundation how can I expect to start a month before and finish all of GCSE maths from the basics?! Also considering that I will be competing against UKs finest students, I have done quite well in terms of my math knowledge. I think a good way of revising math all year round is allotting a time each day for it and playing brain training on the DS.
  • I should have taken the UKCAT early. OH HOW I WISH I DID THIS.
  • If i had taken the UKCAT early I would have known my score and then determined if I should take the BMAT and GAMSAT.
  • I should have read books on medical law and medicine throughout the year- this one is no biggie but it would have helped a lot on the SJT.
  • I should have started my PS earlier...now I only have a week and a half to prepare it tops.
  • I should have allotted no more than 3 weeks for revising the UKCAT. This year I took the little but lengthy approach...I think that was wrong, I am so fed up of this test. 3 weeks is really enough. UKCAT is supposed to be intensive and thats how I think the revision should be too.
  • I should have read more books/articles to practice fast reading.
  • I should have researched university entrance requirements wayyyyyy earlier, then I would have prevented everything relying on the UKCAT.
  • I should have practiced a healthy lifestyle during the revision period. Right now I sleep late, I am undisciplined, I eat unhealthy food, I spend the whole day at the desk..only to work solidly for about two hours in total, I wake up late, I hardly exercise, I make too much time for friends...and the list goes on. This is something that needs to be practiced all year round...it has to be a lifestyle decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment