Monday 2 December 2013

GAMSAT- Work smart not hard


  • Assess the gamsat exam- look through some questions, understand what needs to be done:
What I have understood from the test is that it requires a lot of revision of basic sciences, however, this alone will not get you very far. The test is about reasoning in the subjects. You have to train your thinking skills for this exam just like you do for the UKCAT. So it would make sense to have some means of mental challenge on a daily basis
  • Prioritise and make a plan:
Make a subject related plan. There is a gamsat syllabus and you can make a neat plan of when you will revise these subjects on what day.

  • Take a holistic approach:
I made the mistake last year of revising like a maniac for the UKCAT, its no good just revising. You must completely understand what the test is about. These entrance exams are not knowledge based exams, they require you to use your reasoning. You can build up reasoning skills just like a muscle in your body through the power of habit.
  • Decide when you want to take the test exactly (note to myself)- 
are you going to take it in march or september. I think you can still get a good mark for the one in march but you can wait until january to decide properly, it wouldn't hurt to brush up on your science anyway.
  • Make a life plan for the year ahead (note to myself)-
 So I have been just cruising on automatic, I need to have a clear plan of where I am going in my life and what to do if those plans dont work out. Sometimes, it easy to say 'I will only do medicine even if it takes me a hundred tries', but realistically its quite difficult when all of your friends are settling down in their lives while you are still chasing something that seems so out of reach. You need to have a back up plan making use of your degree and natural talents. I think ill wait for this step in january, yes i know Im one of those people who wait until the new year to change their lives. I just think I would feel like a fresh new person in 2013. 2012 sucked donkeys ass, it was one of the worst years of my life and I have my fair share of tragic experiences.

2 comments:

  1. You have not updated in a while.

    Do you have any plans for next/this year?

    If you have time please check out my blog at:http://landofsoap.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. I have seen my sister during her Best LSAT Prep Course, she would always study smartly and it seemed effortless. I am also planning to take GAMSAT this year and I want to be like her. She is always calm and it seems like studies are very easy. I love that thing about her.

    ReplyDelete